Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Mystery of Egypt, by Nina Bruhns

Meet Nina Bruhns

I guess that’s how I’d describe myself.

By profession, I’m really an archaeologist (an Egyptologist) but I’ve worked all kinds of jobs, from real estate to a fabric store clerk to a student counselor at the Fulbright Commission in Stockholm, Sweden. My favorite was a work-study job in grad school (go U of C!), reorganizing the ancient Egyptian pottery at the University of Chicago’s famous Oriental Institute. The pay was lousy, but holding ceramic jars actually touched by Ramses II and King Tut was awe-inspiring and unbelievably exciting.

I’ve lived all over the USA, and even spent six years in Europe. I love to travel. Maybe because my great-grandfather was an Hungarian gypsy–my only ancestor who was not Danish. A few years back, my family and I moved to Charleston, South Carolina, which has also been a wonderful adventure. It’s amazing here, and I’ve finally found “home.”

I love archaeology, but doing fieldwork in The Sudan, Africa (my area of specialty within Egyptology) isn’t too practical with children and a husband who has a normal job. So when I thought about what I’d like to do instead, I set out to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a writer. Now I have my adventures through my characters. I can give my heroines the thrills and excitement all women dream of having, but I never have to change out of my jammies to do it. My kind of job!

My novels to date have done me very proud by walking away with such prestigious honors as the National Readers’ Choice Award, the overall Daphne du Maurier Award of Excellence in Mystery/Supense (three times), the Dorothy Parker Award (five times), as well as being nominated for the RITA Award (twice), which is the equivalent of an Oscar nomination in the movie biz…to name just a few. My books have also made it onto the WaldenBooks Bestseller List, and been named favorite book of the year by Romantic Times along with several online review sites.

Sensually, I’ll admit I like to push the envelope in my stories. I think much of the appeal of romance is the seductive fantasy it allows women to indulge in safely. A woman whose days are filled with diapers or spreadsheets, PTA or sales meetings, wants to be swept away in a romantic fantasy for a few hours, into a world where she can quench her thirst for love and romantic adventure, and fulfill her dreams of a man who instinctively satisfies her deepest yearnings. I love writing about feisty heroines who do things I would never dare to do in real life. My heroes are dark and dangerous men who ooze sensuality–but who know how to treat a lady.

Last year I started another fabulous adventure, taking the plunge into the larger fiction arena with a romantic thriller trilogy, starting with SHOOT TO THRILL that came out in August ‘09, followed by IF LOOKS COULD CHILL in December ‘09, and A KISS TO KILL coming in April ‘10, all from New York powerhouse Berkley Publishing (part of Penguin/Putnam). These will be followed by a new romantic thriller trilogy starting in 2011.

I can’t tell you how excited I am to be stepping onto a broader stage with longer, more complex suspense stories. But not to worry, I will still concentrate mainly on the emotional and sensual sides of the relationship between the hero and heroine along with the page-turning suspense I am known for. For me, there is just nothing better than creating a heart-tugging love story along with a thrill-ride adventure. I hope you agree!

Ancient gods, immortals sheikhs, African vampires — Nina Bruhns has created a truly unique miniseries from Harlequin Nocturne, the Immortal Sheikhs! Nina joins us today to blog about book 2 in the series, Shadow of the Sheikh, which is on sale now!

                        Shadow of the Sheikh      
Many of my readers don’t know that I am an Egyptologist—I’d say in real life, except that it’s kind of the other way around. Writing novels is my real life these days, and despite the three college degrees, traveling around Egypt doing archaeological digs and surveys has been relegated to the realm of my imagination. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing…

This week the second book in my IMMORTAL SHEIKHS trilogy, SHADOW OF THE SHEIKH, was released by Harlequin Nocturne (book 1, LORD OF THE DESERT, came out in August).

The series takes place in modern Egypt, in a setting filled with all sorts of fun mythological and paranormal elements. These are truly books of my heart. You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to write these stories! But when I first started writing romance, publishers would not even look at ideas with exotic settings, let alone ancient gods, immortals, and shape-shifters. Wow, how things have changed!

In this series, I have absolutely loved being able to use my knowledge of this amazing ancient culture to bring it back to life for my readers…with a cool twist. It is all still happening today. My strong, independent heroines, three American sisters, become immersed in the mysterious world of the last surviving Egyptian demigods. And boy, do they find things they never imagined existed. Including, of course, love.

Oh, and did I mention the vampire?

When I was on my first archaeological expedition to northern Sudan (which was part of Egypt in ancient times) we stayed in a tiny village on the Nile. The area around this village was supposed to have the most vampires in all of Africa. Okay, then. Freaked out? Me? Just a little.

Trust me, I’m no vampire expert. But when my editor suggested I make one of my lead characters a vampire (the hero of book 3–VAMPIRE SHEIKH coming in February–who appears in all three books), I remembered that village (who could forget!), and thought how interesting it would be to incorporate the incredibly sexy archetype of the vampire lord into the ancient Egyptian pantheon. So I took the few references I found to vampirism in Pharaonic times and shaped them into a plausible addition to the existing mythology, which I then used to build the paranormal world in the IMMORTAL SHEIKHS trilogy.
The result is a blend of vamp and Egyptian mystery which I think make the stories really unusual and interesting. When you combine that with three hunky shape-shifting sheikhs and three sizzling hot romances, I think my Nocturne readers will really enjoy this trilogy!
I hope you’ll let me know what you think!
Good reading,

Nina

For excerpts and more info on Nina and her books, see her website at NinaBruhns.com


Nina just sent me this note, Sunday 1/23

I see you posted the blog about book 2 in my Immortal Sheikhs trilogy. Thanks! It looks like it was posted yesterday, but I'm terrible at deciphering these blog things, so maybe that's wrong. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that SHADOW OF THE SHEIKH was book 2, which came out last November, so it's not available in stores anymore as it says in the blog. However, book 3, VAMPIRE SHEIKH, comes out next week (it's a Feb book), if you'd like to mention that instead.

Note:  Shadow of the Sheikh is available at EHarlequin. Amazon, Barnes and Noble and at Borders.  Lord of the Desert at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Lord of the Desert:



As the son of a British earl, Lord Rhys had dearly loved his life of action and indulgence as a rogue, a rake, a gambler and a womanizer. But now he loves his life as an immortal even more. Rhys's job is to supply his master—a five-thousand-year-old demigod— with all his heart's desires.

Especially women.

When historian Gillian Haliday ventures to Rhys's grave to settle a dispute for his descendants, she is enchanted by this man with stallion-like prowess. She doesn't argue when he vows to keep her for himself. But his master has other plans. Plans that will spell Gillian's doom and—when he unwittingly falls in love with her— the end of Lord Rhys's own earthly existence….

Shadow of the Sheikh:



I see you posted the blog about book 2 in my Immortal Sheikhs trilogy. Thanks! It looks like it was posted yesterday, but I'm terrible at deciphering these blog things, so maybe that's wrong. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that SHADOW OF THE SHEIKH was book 2, which came out last November, so it's not available in stores anymore as it says in the blog. However, book 3, VAMPIRE SHEIKH, comes out next week (it's a Feb book), if you'd like to mention that instead. Not sure how that mixup happened.



Vampire Sheikh:



Demigod Seth is enraged. The recent defections of his two favorite lieutenants have sparked a conflagration of fury within him and a bitter need for vengeance. Someone will pay, and pay dearly!

Who better than Josslyn Haliday? Her two scheming sisters seduced and destroyed his friends, luring them straight into the camp of his mortal enemy.

What Seth doesn't count on is Joss's own anger. After losing her parents as a child, she'll now do anything to find her two dear sisters and bring them back to safety. Anything.

  • Including making a deal with the devil—him. But how far is the soft, pliant temptress willing to go?

1 comment:

Linda Henderson said...

I just picked up the last one of these today, I was waiting till I had them all to read them. I do that sometimes. I can't wait to start them.

seriousreader at live dot com

Professional Web Design